The present-day Secondary School of Art and Design and Higher Professional School in Brno
was established on January 1 st 2012. Through a ruling of the Southmoravian Region,
the Higher Professional School of Fashion Design and Management and the Secondary School
of Textile Decorative Arts in Francouzská Street merged with the Secondary School of Art
and Design in Husova Street and with the Higher Professional School of Restoration located
in Obřany. Let’s have a look at the history of Fashion and Textile Design at the Higher
Professional School. The idea to found an independent secondary school for weavers in Brno
as the first secondary textile school in Austria-Hungary came about as a result of a great
success of Brno‘s highly developed textile industry at the Great Exhibition of 1851 in London.
In 1852 the Chamber of Business and Commerce established a school of crafts with a department
for spinners and weavers in order to train qualified labourers and foremen. The instruction was
carried out as evening classes on Saturdays and Sundays in German and Czech.
By a decree of the Ministry of Culture and Education a Higher School for Weavers was founded
on the 17 th July 1860; it was located in Fabriksgasse (today’s Úzká Street), where an opening
ceremony was held on the 25 th October of the same year. The main purpose of the school was
to provide proper professional education that would answer the demands of the advanced wool
processing industry throughout the monarchy. The school trained workers for higher job
positions, particularly factory managers and owners.
The year represents an important milestone in the school’s history since the Ministry of Education,
Youth and Sports changed the deed of foundation for higher professional education with a new
name Secondary Industrial School and Higher Professional School of Textile (Střední průmyslová
škola a Vyšší odborná škola textilní). For the first time the Higher Professional School offers courses
for textile production and business managers and textile artists and, in the following year, a course
teaching technological processes in textile production.
Due to an insufficient capacity of the original facilities the school complex is expanded to include
the renovated building in Francouzská Street 99.
The school was awarded the ATOK Golden Diploma certifying that the school meets the standards
of the Association of Textile, Fashion and Leather Businesses for educational institutions that train
professionals in their respective lines of work.
In the academic year of 2006/2007 the school is renamed as Higher Professional School of Fashion
Design and Management and Secondary School of Textile Decorative Arts, Brno, Francouzská
Street 101 (Vyšší odborná škola oděvního designu a managementu a Střední uměleckoprůmyslová
škola textilní, Brno, Francouzská 101).
New study programs are introduced into the instruction. These are: Fashion Design and Construction,
Interior and Fashion Accessory Design, and Business Enterprise and Advertising.
The school celebrated the 150 th anniversary of its foundation.
The Higher Professional School of Fashion Design and Management and Secondary School of Textile
Decorative Arts merges with the Secondary School of Art and Design and Higher Professional School
of Restoration. Towards the end of the year, the Higher Professional School of Restoration moves to
the newly renovated restoration workshops in Francouzská Street 101 and 99.
June 1 st 2015
A new name of the school: Secondary School of Art and Design and Higher Professional School
of Restoration, Contributory Organization (Střední škola umění a designu a Vyšší odborná škola Brno,
September 1 st 2015
Start of education based on a modified study program for Fashion and Textile Design using a credit system.